Saturday, September 14, 2013

Workout #20

Total rounds: 14

1. Jump rope - 1
2. Shadow - 2
3. Speed bag - 5
4. Double - 2
5. Heavy - 2
6. Mitts - 2

I had a light workout today. Mostly I realize I get too tired and I don't try very hard. It's hard to go hard on shadowboxing or the heavy bag, when one can just go light. That's why I like mitts and speed bag, I can't really go light - though speed bag is still kind of light but takes a lot of concentration.

I had the young skinny trainer do mitts with me, and he was trying to show me how to do better on body shots. My left knee needs to step out but not to the left of my foot or it will buckle. I don't know if I'll have the speed to do a body shot unless someone comes in really close.

I didn't spar today though I was hoping I would. I think I still have to stick with a basic style of jabs mostly, since I've been fairly successful with my jabs in sparring, but I wonder if I can hit very hard? Maybe I don't need to b/c this is amateur and it's mostly about points and getting in decent shots even if they're not very hard. I do have to protect myself and keep the other boxer away. Mostly jab, then set up my right, and then do combos from there. My left uppercut has decent range so I need to figure out how to use it more even if it's thrown lightly. Also, throw a variety of shots both hard and light to throw the other guy off. I react so slowly to counters that I probably have to be the aggressive one, at least with my jabs so they can counter and I can try and counter them or just hit back with the jab right.

Overall, my conditioning is going to make the biggest difference. Even in sparring I see myself doing so much better the 1st round than the 2nd round. Of course in the match it will be two minute rounds instead of the 3 minutes per round for sparring in the gym, so that should help. I want to be able to sprint or go hard for the full two minutes each round. For cardio, starting October I will train on HIIT so I can go 30 sec/10sec rest three times in a row. That's 120 seconds which is two minutes. I want to be able to simulate a real boxing match with my cardio. I can do this on an exercise bike/elliptical, burpees, or anything else just to get my heart used to going all out. Of course it's best if I do it via shadow boxing or spar more, but I have to take what I can get. 

No comments:

Post a Comment